Saturday, March 17, 2012

Home at last

After 23 days away we are finally home.  What a horribly long arduous and exhausting adventure.  I can't describe how wonderful it is to be home and to be able to begin to get our life back to some sort of normal. 


Ruby is recovering in many different ways.  Physically, she is recovering faster and better than we could have ever prayed for.  She is up and walking around almost as if the surgery had never happened.  She does have some more weakness in her right leg.  All the work she has done on walking up and down stairs is going to have to start over.  She doesn't have the motor control of her leg/foot that she had before so going up even just a small step is more challenging.  But it doesn't seem to bother her and she is working hard and playing hard again, especially today.  Every day is exponentially better than the day before.  Now the emotional part of her recovery is taking a bit longer and is something I had not planned on or prepared for.  She has been through such a traumatic experience that it is taking a bit longer for her to really relax and get comfortable again. 

Jason and I got to go out together today, just the two of us and have lunch and see a movie.  It was really nice to spend time with him without any worries.  It has been a VERY long time since I was able to go out somewhere without a really heavy heart and without a million worries.  We saw 21 Jump Street and although the previews weren't totally great it was probably the funniest movie I have ever seen in my life.  I know, those are big words but seriously, I have not laughed that hard in years.  If you get a chance you really should go see it.  I'd go again right now.  My face hurt for over three hours after leaving the theater from smiling and laughing so hard.  I thought maybe it was just Jason and I and maybe the movie wasn't really that funny.  I thought maybe it was just because we really needed a good laugh and we were finally loosening up a bit but no, it really was that funny.  The audience was screaming with laughter over and over again.  There was a point where I literally could not catch my breath....  Obviously I liked it and really did need a good laugh so it served it's purpose.

Oliver is doing fantastic now that we are home.  He is such a happy mellow little guy.  He is definitely happy to be home as we all are.


Jason and I can not thank you all enough for your prayers and all your well wishes.  Our journey with Ruby is certainly not over.  Her recovery is going to take a lifetime but at least this part is past us and we can begin a life free of seizures.



Just had to share this one too.  He is such a ham saying "cheese" for the camera.

1 comment:

  1. I can't help but smile when I see pictures of Ruby's shining smile. There is so much to be thankful for, and she show us that everyday of her journey.

    ReplyDelete